Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

New Kindle

So, my old Kindle screen started to have some issues. This is the first time I have had any issues with a Kindle Screen. This is my fifth kindle and I have owned every version. I use it heavily and I carry it everywhere in its nice case. I called Amazon and I am out of warranty. Amazon doing what they do best, customer service, sent me a new one in exchange! Before I send my old one back I need to put some things on the new one.



  1. Install The Magic Catalog
  2. Install The Harvard Classics
  3. Download your samples
  4. Download what you're currently reading
  5. Start Reading

Each time I have upgraded I did pretty much this same procedure. The Magic Catalog is essential because many many books out of public domain are still not available in the Kindle Store. I always check the Kindle Store for a book but since I research a lot there are still many titles that I do not find on there. Calibre is also great for finding books. I have a previous post about the Harvard Classics and how to install them.

I have a collection titled “Samples”, that I keep the samples I download for later reading. This is a good way to remember a book you heard about and don't want to forget. The samples are free and if you like the book you can always buy it. I encourage everyone to download samples regularly. This is a great way to always have something to read and to find new material without having to buy anything. I send myself all the samples I have for later reading to the new kindle. This is the reason I haven't sent my old kindle back yet.

Since I do maintain a library of books outside of the Kindle Store, it is easy for me to transfer them to a new Kindle. I have done this several times. All my previous Kindles have gone to good homes.

Many of these tips I heard from the Kindle Chronicles podcast. Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? You should!

These are just some tips I have picked up along the way. Please share your tips and suggestions in the comments below.

This blog is now available in the kindle store, so please subscribe there or by RSS so you don’t miss any post! Happy Reading.

1 comment:

  1. How would I set up my blog to be available for subscription in Kindle/Amazon?

    ReplyDelete