Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Poe's Poetry

Alone
by Edgar Allan Poe

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view. 




January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849

Edgar Allan Poe is an American Romantic author and poet. He is best known for his poem “The Raven” and his short stories dealing with dark and macabre themes.

Edgar Allan Poe's Complete Poetical Works - Free

He had a very tragic life, losing his parents at a very early age. He was adopted by John Allan and later change his name in honor of the family that raised him. He was plagued with money issues and alcoholism through his short life. He died of mysterious circumstances that led to many conspiracy theories, including madness and exposure due to alcoholism.

Poe’s works are still widely referenced and adapted in popular culture. Poe has become a fictionalized version of himself often used as the narrator of his poems. Poe is often depicted in comic books, fiction, film and theatre, due to the tragic circumstances of his life and the mystery surrounding his death.

Poe, A Biography - This is a great out of print biography about Poe’s life. Follows his life and career and when he published his poems and stories. Available used for $4.00 in paperback.

Edgar Allan Poe: A Biography - New biography by Daniel Dyer, available on Kindle. $4.99 purchase, free to borrow with Prime Account.

There is a new film coming out later this year titled “The Raven” with John Cusack playing Edgar Allan Poe. Also, a new film titled “Poe” is rumored next year, directed by Sylvester Stallone!

Here is the beginning of another beautiful poem by Edgar Allan Poe, 


Annabel Lee

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

Please share this post or any others on your social media of choice and bookmark the site for future post. You can also grab the rss feed or try a   free 2 week trial*  on your kindle to have the posts delivered directly to you. Follow me on twitter @seframos. Happy Reading.

2 comments:

  1. I love Annabel Lee. That is my favorite poem! "And neither the angels in heaven above,
    Nor the demons down under the sea,
    Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
    Of the beautiful Annabel Lee" I love that line, I think it is the most beautiful thing I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful poem. He had many poems that speak to people. I have been a fan of his poetry ever since I can remember.

    ReplyDelete