Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Ebooks vs Books Final

Third generation Amazon Kindle, showing text f...
Third generation Amazon Kindle, showing text from the novel Moby-Dick. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
You can check out the previous posts by clicking below.
The Pros of eReaders
Now that we have addressed many of the fallacies touted about why ebooks are bad, let’s talk about why they are good.
It is easier to have a Kindle app on my smartphone that I always have with me and read whenever I have time than to lug around a book. It is easier to carry my Kindle Keyboard in my pocket with hundreds of books, including all the books that I am currently reading, than to bring along a book that I might lose (I have lost a few) and doesn’t fit in my pocket.
I markup books and make notes and find it easier and more convenient to highlight and make notes in ebooks using my Kindle. I don’t have to carry a pen, dictionary, and notebook when I want to read something.
If I hear of a book that sounds interesting to me, I can download a sample and begin reading in a minute. I can also download a sample to save for later so that I can have something handy to read when I finish a book. I can read the first 10 percent of a book to see if I want to continue reading and if I do, I can buy the book with a simple click. I buy too many books this way.
Ereaders make it convenient to read, easy to find new books, and are easier to carry than most books. Whether it has page numbers or locations makes no difference to me since I am reading for content, not to brag about the number of pages I read.
Conclusions
You can read ebooks without having to give up paper books. Obvious I know, but that’s how the “war” is being made out to be. Ebooks are not at war with bookstores or libraries, they are just the latest development in book technology. People that prefer real books prefer the previous shift in the book publishing industry, which is fine, just realize they are choosing one static form in an ever developing technology.
Before I get dismissed as a book hater, know that I am writing this on the fourth floor of the university library. I am surrounded by millions of books and I love coming here to study and read. I am a graduate student in English Literature and Composition, you could say that I love words and writing. I read a lot, I buy a lot of books and I write a lot. I will publish through Amazon and hopefully through a traditional publisher, if I can break in. I love books whether you can them real or not.
Ebooks or books, whatever you call them are really just books. What we really value is the writing of the author. The medium they published on does not matter, it is a preference. Next time you hear someone bashing ebooks, just know that they are resistant to change and embrace only the medium they grew up with. Now you know better.
I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue. I know ebooks can be divisive, but let’s try and keep it civil.
Check out our Facebook Page and Like us to keep up to date on the latest Kindle Literature posts. You can share this post or any others on your social media of choice and bookmark the site for future posts, free Kindle books, and the best Kindle novels. Make sure you subscribe and check back for more. Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment